Skip to main content

Who is Cheong Soo Pieng?


I've always been interested in art, so I was excited when I had the opportunity to research and write a book on pioneer artist Cheong Soo Pieng for the National Art Gallery, Singapore. At first I only knew Soo Pieng as the artist of the Salted Fish painting that is found on the back of our $50 bill. By the end of the project I knew much more!

This book was also interesting in that it was my first attempt at a graphic novel or rather "tovel" -- a textbook cum novel. I really liked how the illustrator Ann Gee was able to translate my suggestions into lively, colourful illustrations and appreciate the efforts of the book designers in playing with the design such that every page was interesting and a delight to the eyes! If you have the chance, check out the book. It is different from my other books but it has inspired me to do more biographies of Singapore personalities in the future.

Find out more about Soo Pieng at the Art Gallery website. This book is available at Select Books.

Popular posts from this blog

Book for kindergarteners: Shall I take a bite?

In 2011, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to write two stories for kindergarteners for the Ministry of Education's (MOE) Preschool Branch. Shall I take a bite? was a story inspired by my own experience with durians. I dislike them although my whole family adores the fruit. I have tried it many, many times but somehow I just don't get it. This book is about a boy who has a similar attitude to durians, but has a different result. This book is one of six commissioned to support MOE's learning dispositions for preschool children. It is based on the disposition of reflectiveness and encourages children to think back on their experiences, learn from them and do better the next time. Personally I feel this is an important disposition that will help children become effective lifelong learners. I enjoyed working on the book with illustrator Drewscape. He was able to capture the spirit of the story and more. The illustrations are lively, colourful and imaginative...just w

P1 & P2 Social Studies Readers

Last year I was happy to write 4 Social Studies Readers for use in Primary 1 and 2 classrooms. Classroom teaching is so different today compared to when I was in school. Children get to learn from big books with lively pictures and local content! For Primary 1 students, I wrote two stories: Siti's New Home and Don't Cross the Line! These two books feature a sister and brother team who have fun but sometimes get into trouble with each other. The first story Siti's New Home was inspired by Queenstown -- the neighbourhood I grew up when I was a child.  For Primary 2 students, I wrote another two stories: New Girl in Town and We are Singapore. In the latter book, we meet a pair of twins -- Emma and Ethan. These characters were inspired by my own niece, Emma and nephew, Ethan. Like the character in We are Singapore , my niece Emma asks a lot of questions. Overall I enjoyed writing these stories and I hope students and teachers will enjoy reading them!

Primary 3 Social Studies Readers

Last month, I was happy to attend a launch of new readers for the Primary 3 Social Studies programme. The main reason for my attendance was to see my books -- I wrote three of the readers -- finally in print! I enjoyed researching and writing the books but there is nothing like reading the stories fully illustrated! I hope the P3 children will enjoy reading these stories in their classes. Ah Kong's Farm is a story about Ah Kong who has a farm growing vegetables and fruits. One day, he is asked to change his farm or give it up. What will Ah Kong do? Mr HDB tells the story of Mr Lim Kim San, the first Chairman of the Housing and Development Board (HDB), and how he helped build homes for Singaporeans. Getting Around traces the changes in transportation in Singapore from the days of rickshaws and carriages to cars and trains.